2013-08-20

Using Java Media Framework on 64-bit Windows

The Java Media Framework enables media playback using Java (e.g. to playback MP3 files).
However, this set of libraries is quite dated. For example, the windows performance pack version requires you to enable the 16-bit operations for the installer. If you are using Windows 8 64-bit, you may not want to use this version. The official download is located here.

I downloaded the portable version (Cross-platform Java). However, after I tried to run my program to playback MP3 files, I realized that the codec for MP3 is not included by default. I finally managed to download a copy and placed it in the same directory (but the playback still did not work). I then realized that I must use the JMF Studio to update the registry file to include the MP3 code. After doing all this; I finally managed to get my code to playback the MP3. I have shared a link to the portable lib (with the registry file update). Unzip it into your jre\lib\ext directory.

Look out for the sample code use JMF to playback the MP3 in another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Github CoPilot Alternatives (VSCode extensions)

https://www.tabnine.com/blog/github-copilot-alternatives/